Very interesting news from the Backtrack development team. Backtrack is in the process of a major overhaul and will be reborn into a new distribution named Kali!
Apparently Backtrack was a pet project used by the developers, now that it is THE Pentesting Platform, they want to make it better than ever.
Which is great news for us!
From the Backtrack Linux Website:
“What’s happened in the past year? We have been quietly developing the necessary infrastructure and laying the foundation for our newest penetration testing distribution as well as building over 300 Debian compliant packages and swearing in 8 different languages.
These changes brought with them an incredible amount of work, research and learning but are also leading us down the path to creating the best, and most flexible, penetration testing distribution we have ever built, dubbed “Kali”.”
Can’t wait to check it out!
What are the new utilities included with Backtrack 5r3? I couldn’t find a list, so I decided to make one myself comparing BT5r2 with the latest version. This is not an exhaustive list, but hopefully it will help people see some of the very cool new tools and programs added to Backtrack.
I listed the program name and tried to give a short description of what it does. If I screwed any up, please let me know!
Identify Live Hosts:
- dnmap – Distributed NMap
- address6 (The Second “Alive6” entry) – IPV6 address conversion
Information Gathering Analysis
- Jigsaw – Grabs information about company employees
- Uberharvest – E-mail harvester
- sslcaudit – SSL Cert audit
- VoIP honey – VoIP Honeypot
- urlcrazy – Detects URL typos used in typo squatting, url hijacking, phishing
- Apache_users – Apache username enumerator
- Deblaze – Performs enumeration & interrogation against Flash remote end points
- Tnscmd10g – Allows you to inject commands into Oracle
- BBQSQL – Blind SQL injection toolkit
- Blueranger – Uses link quality to locate Bluetooth devices
- Lynis – Scans systems & software for security issues
- DotDotPwn – Directory Traversal fuzzer
- Netgear-telnetable – Enables Telnet console on Netgear devices
- Termineter – Smart Meter tester
- Htexploit – Tool to bypass standard directory protection
- Jboss-Autopwn – Deploys JSP shell on target JBoss servers
- Websploit – Scans & analyses remote systems for vulnerabilities
Wireless Exploitation Tools
- Bluepot – Bluetooth honeypot
- Spooftooph – Spoofs or clones Bluetooth devices
- Fern-Wifi-cracker – Gui for testing Wireless encryption strength
- Wi-fihoney – Creates fake APs using all encryption and monitors with Airodump
- Wifite – Automated wireless auditor
A Bunch of Password Tools
And let’s not forget “Subterfuge” the MiTM Framework, and new Arduino support.
Okay, that is not ALL of the new additions, only a chunk of them! I believe last count there are around 60 new tools in the Backtrack 5r3 release.
But why use Backtrack 5 when you can use the latest Backtrack called Kali Linux!
Want to learn more about Backtrack/ Kali Linux?
My new book, “Basic Security Testing with Kali Linux” shows how to use many of the tools and programs in Backtrack/ Kali Linux using hands on step-by-step tutorials. Check it out!
You can also download the latest version of Backtrack/ Kali here.